Friday, January 29, 2010

Fun with textiles

I love making scarves, hats and things to give as gifts, but nothing beats Amigurumi in terms of being SO much fun and super rewarding... they're so darn cute! Amigurumi is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures.*
















I made a little piggie for our goddaughter, Sammie, for Christmas this year. Last year I made her a little yellow duck, so the farm animal theme is cute. The duck was a real success, given my novice crochet skills a year ago... and the fact that the pattern was for a fuzzy baby penguin! Basically, I figured that I could make it into any bird I wanted and then used a much smaller crochet hook than the pattern called for... it turned out well despite being completely 'wrong.' I still LOL about it.

Patterns are easy to find on the internet and many are free.** Instructables.com and crochetville.org are the sources for the two I've used and google finds all sorts of tutorials. The pig only took an evening in front of the tv to make! There are also patterns to buy on etsy and, if you're not the crafty type, there are shops like this one.



















*from Wikipedia
**to make for yourself or to give them as gifts, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say 'hi' and tell me what you think!