Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Thrifty Garde Robe

For much of last year I was signed up at the Wardrobe Refashion blog, to "abstain from the purchase of 'new' manufactured items of clothing... to refashion, renovate, recycle pre-loved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium."

That part was pretty easy, there hasn't been a lot of money to spend anyway! The second part of the pledge was to share photos and descriptions of my projects on the WR site. People all over the world have participated and I loved the inspiration! I also followed several people to their own blogs and enjoyed their posts about things other than sewing.

The founder of WR recently decided to change the format and part of that change involves a subscription to view tutorials and other things. Totally within her right and I don't know what costs she incurs to run it but, needless to say, there is still no money to spend on my end and the subscription is roughly $10/month. One of the other (quite prolific and talented) contributors was also dismayed by the change and, worried that the egalitarian nature of the shared projects would suffer, decided to start a new free site devoted to refashioning.

Without further ado, I introduce The Thrifty Garde Robe! I've signed on to be a contributor, along with about 20 other people, with several great projects already posted. I have lots of other projects going on around the house this spring, but I'm hoping to get back to the sewing machine soon!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I've always thought it would be fun to repurpose or redesign my clothes but I've never been brave enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Please say 'hi' and tell me what you think!